I use a premium soy wax blend in my candles and all-cotton fibre wicks that burn cleanly and stay straight throughout the life of your candle.
My large candles are slow-burning, and have a burn time of over 60 hours.
Here's what you need to know:
The first burn
To maximise the burn time and prevent your candle from tunnelling, do an initial burn for 3 hours before letting it rest.
If you don’t get a full met pool* on the first burn, don’t worry! You will on the second and subsequent burns if you burn your candle for 2-3 hours at a time.
Turn your candle over and read the warning and information sticker.
Never use water, or your candle lid to extinguish your candle.
Always keep your lit candle away from draughts, ceiling fans and any air currents, as well as ensuring it is on a flat, stable surface. Bad placement of your candle can result in an uneven burn, smoking, a diminished scent throw and a shorter burn time.
Ensure your candle is kept away from children, clothing, curtains and anything flammable.
Never leave a burning candle unattended.
Before re-lighting your candle, trim the wick to approximately 5mm and ensure the wick is upright.
Trimming your cotton wick will reduce smoking and mushrooming. Never burn your candle all the way down to the metal tab.
When there is 10mm left at the bottom of the jar, it’s time to buy a new candle.
*a full met pool is where the wax is melted all the way to the edge of the glass.
Reusing your Jar
Please reuse your empty Clare Makes candle jar! Here are some tips and ideas to clean your vessel and give it a second life.
Cleaning Your Jar
To get the remaining wax out, use the double boiler method to loosen the wax. Get a small pot, fill it part way with water and set your candle jar inside. Turn the heat low and wait a few minutes. Once the wax loosens from the edges, dump it straight into the bin.
If the wick holder is stuck, just slip a butter knife underneath and pop it out.
Try not to pour your wax down the drain - it may end up clogging your pipes.
To clean your jar, wipe out as much wax as you can with a paper towel. Then, use soap and hot water.
If the inner electroplating has blackened a little bit, I find a little bit of isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel works great to wipe it away.
Your candle should now be like new and ready to use!
NOTE: Never microwave your candle jar. Remember that for my large candles, the inside is electroplated! The wick holder is metal too. You could melt your microwave and start a fire.
Ideas For Your New Jar
You can use your empty candle jar for so many things! I use mine for makeup brushes, personally. but they’re great for flowers, plants, toothbrushes, pens, and general office supplies.